Friday 10 February 2012

Lillian Smelt

So yesterday started well as I posted once on here... however I had planned on posting more but thanks to the weather and not wanting to get stuck in Hartlepool over night (if my trains got cancelled I would be stranded here) so I left on an earlier train than originally planned, and then typically once I got home I got immersed in other things and never got back to posting again so here we are... trying to fill you in on what I’ve been up to the last couple of weeks... hmmm where to start...

How about posting about an interesting object I found?

For things to draw I decided to look in the back of some cupboards to see if I found anything that made me go ‘omg! I haven’t seen this in ages’ and one of the things I found was my great auntie’s sketchbook.  Pictured below with her sisters is my aunty Lila (centured) around the time that she has dated the images were drawn.

Unfortunately a few years ago she has passed away (at the great age of 98) but I thought it would be a great idea to see if I could incorporate some of her images alongside my own work and see where it would take me. As the book is now decades old it’s quite vulnerable to fall apart so I decided to scan all the images from it onto the computer so I didn’t have to keep flipping through the pages to see them all. Below is a few examples of drawings from the sketchbook.





 Next I thought I would combine the two ideas I had had so far. Bringing the old (the drawings) and mixing it with the new (the code). The images below are the first results I came out with which I think look really interesting. I’m not sure where I will take these ideas but for now I think it’s a good start to the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment